Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I defend Microsoft against Vista SP1 re-activation issues?

I bought Vista Ultimate 64-bit a while back. I installed SP1 yesterday. So 鈥渕y鈥?Vista says I changed my hardware and it requires activation. I didn鈥檛, of course, but presumably it stupidly changed the device drivers and so it thinks I did. It gives me 2 days to reactivate. I locate my key. Type it all in. Microsoft tells me it's already in use. No kidding, it's me! I call the support number. Type in the horrendously long number provide by 鈥渕y鈥?Vista. Auto attendant tells me it's no good. I wait 30 minutes for a real person. I read said long number again. I get equally-horrendously long activation code. Type that all in. It's activated again. Wasted well over an hour. Thanks Microsoft. As a software/product developer, I'm all for anti-piracy, but this is horrible. Horrible! As a (current but re-evaluating) avid Microsoft supporter, how can I defend against this crap?



How do I defend Microsoft against Vista SP1 re-activation issues?norten



I'm kinda amazed that you even got SP1 to load and function. It's trashing chip set drivers all over the world.



Now, to answer your question, There isn't much you can do about Microsoft and it's ''anti pirating'' software. We are just going to have to put up with it. I think the only real solution to this would be to run Linux instead. But then there is the learning curve. It's just a big mess. I to have been a MS supporter, but, like you, I'm starting to have second thoughts. And, I'm really interested in seeing Ubuntu's next release. If it any easier to use, I my be switching. This Vista thing is just about the last straw.



  • in the bath tub
  • cook fresh salmon
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment